Dare...

Dare to be yourself, no apologies needed.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Its Not Popular...

Ever since I entered middle school, my mother and I have debated what it is to be "popular". She was convinced that I had begun trying to be popular; I was adamant that that was not the case. In hindsight, I believe that I was just trying to be well liked, because life is difficult when you are the only one in your classroom who can be heard before they are seen. I wanted people to like me so that there was one less thing restricting me from the life I wanted to accomplish.
I am writing this blog as one of [what I feel is] the most under-represented groups in America: disabled young adults. Sure there are characters on Grey's Anatomy and Glee, but these characters are played by people who don't know what it's like to have their intelligence questioned on sight or to be addressed in the same voice that people address their infants. I do. This blog is to that we don't have to go through life striving to be "well liked", afraid of making any enemies or obstacles; it is so that we can go through life simply being ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Imamni I love you. Your writing is amazing and you just inspire everyone you meet. I hope you go so far. Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete